Why Is Destiny 2 Introducing Pervasive Micro-Transactions?


Destiny 2 E3 Campaign Trailer (Bungie)



 I will admit that I found the Open Beta for PC enjoyable despite a couple short-comings but the news about players only being allowed to use shaders (different paint jobs) with their weapons / armor only once is a setback from the original game that allowed shaders to be used infinitely once purchased through Eververse (the store in the social hub in Destiny 1). I understand the purpose of boosts being used one time only but to have shaders used only once is very disappointing. Currently there's 36k people that upvoted a post on Reddit voicing the same criticism as I and I don't even own the game.

If Bungie is going to allow shaders to be used once then I have to ask myself "what else will Bungie pull in the future?", Will they start putting DLC weapons in-game with future expansions and saying well that Exotic loot you got from a raid is a special weapon so you can only use it once? If this is given a pass then what will stop other game developers from doing the same thing in the future like Ubisoft or DICE? People need to take a stand and voice their opinion because this is a make or break moment.

While I haven't played the game, I plan on getting the game on PC and I don't mean to speak in alarmist terms but I feel like this needs to addressed because other game devs will start doing this to their games and game companies except merely a few will get greedier and greedier over-time. I personally would go as far as canceling my pre-order to voice my dissent. No gamer wants to play a game and spend money for skins that you can't keep for the duration of the game. Games like Deus EX: Mankind Evolved got a lot of bad ratings on Steam for pulling this kind of funny business on it's player base, Destiny will most likely be no different at least for the PC player base.

Comments