Firefox Quantum Performance Tests





As somebody that comes from experience, I personally like to test the performance of new applications that I install on my PC and ensure they aren't resource hogs because later on that might boggle down the performance of my computer in 3 to 5 years of time especially if I'm using my PC for resource heavy tasks like Photoshop or Gaming.

In my past I have encountered many apps that take up excessive amounts of memory and CPU usage that normally shouldn't. Today I decided to install a new browser called Firefox Quantum, This is supposed to use less memory than Firefox's earlier browsers which it does but the question is does it go far enough and would another privacy oriented browser would do the same job as Firefox but use less performance?

Well for this test I used both the Brave Browser and Firefox Quantum. I won't be testing website speeds because they both load the same and that's mainly a factor of the internet speeds you get with your ISP however I will be testing the CPU and RAM usage that these apps push when running. When I first loaded up both of the apps from startup these are the results:

Firefox Quantum: Uses 3.7% CPU usage for just 2 tabs open and 2,996 GB of RAM

Brave Browser: Uses 1.0% CPU usage for 5 tabs and merely 614 GB of RAM


Comparison Pictures of Browser Performance

Brave is known for it's low level performance and also it's privacy features that block ads and tracking scripts from websites you visit while Firefox does pretty much the same except there's no ad blocker for it when you install it so perhaps the ads have something to do with it. So for the next comparison I'm going to show you the testing numbers of Brave with it's ad-blocking and anti-tracking feature off so you can see the exact results.

Alright so here's the results running both browsers with no ad blocking or other features to not skewer the results:

Firefox Quantum: Uses 8.1% CPU usage and 1,806 GB of RAM

Brave: Uses 0% CPU usage and 886 GB of RAM

Comparison of Browsers (No Adblock and Anti-Tracking)


Granted these CPU and RAM usage numbers have been fluctuating back and forth like any other application would be doing however this whole finding gives you a general idea of what kind of performance you would expect from both browers. In both tests the Brave Browser performs better and Firefox ended up in 2nd place so from a logical conclusion I would go with Brave for it's low level performance and the fact that you can open up 5 different tabs and still get lower CPU and RAM usage for your PC. Perhaps in the future Firefox could improve performance but for now it still isn't where I would like to see it.




Comments