Ryzen APU to be Revealed & My Thoughts



AMD is getting ready to reveal it's new Ryzen APU this February according to various accounts from other tech sites. It has been rumored that the new APU will have the graphical horsepower of an RX 570 and offer 4 Zen cores for the maximum. I think that always has been the endgame overall and many people have speculated (myself included) that with AMD proving it's worth with it's custom made chips for both Microsoft's and Sony's consoles that one day this would be achievable for PC gamers.

Given the progress that we're seeing both in the past and the strategic moves I think AMD is probably going to fix what has been it's previous APU's weakest point which is lacking CPU performance. The fact that AMD is now combining both chips (high performance CPUs and APUs) on the same chipset and it's now running the same Zen cores proves that much. Now this big jump in GPU performance from one chip to another I'm a bit skeptical, I feel from a realistic standpoint that while it might improve some I don't think it will be that radical of a change.

Given all of this speculation and what I feel is going to be announced I'm excited because I'm hoping to use an AMD APU for my next build to bring on the go. I need something that isn't going to add a lot of weight when I bring my portable PC places so I feel this is the way to go. My dream APU would be an APU with a mid range GPU like an RX 570 or 580 though, It would be wonderful but since AMD is touting these are "budget" chips I wouldn't count on that just yet.

Comments