Chipotle Hacked, Risks Losing Customer Trust




      Hackers used Malware to steal customer info from Mexican Grill Chipotle over the course of several weeks according to the company. The company isn't sure how many payment cards or customers were affected by the systems breach but they did say they removed the malware from their system. Whether or not Chipotle is going to get backlash for this attack is anybody's guess but it wouldn't be the first time they got backlash from customers en-masse. 

     There also is something to be said about why it took the company 3 weeks to take notice of malware being on their systems? It shouldn't take that long to remove malware let alone notice it's there in the first place. Most places would have noticed it in the first hours and acted accordingly but not Chipotle. While I understand that no computer or server is hacker-proof, there still is ways to minimize damage in the event such a thing does take place. 

   If I was running a business that used payment card processors, I would hired people around the clock to keep an eye on any kind of breaches on my processing servers that I use to process payments on them and record payment information details. To fail to implement such security measures on my business would be a financial disaster waiting to happen. I would be losing the trust of my customers because I didn't do enough to keep their information safe and secure and I waited 3 weeks to act rather getting the problem solved in hours with a robust security team. 

Comments